paleo-ish: grain-free bread to go BANANAS over

First of all, on a very personal level – can I just say a HUGE thank you to everyone who took the time to reach out to me about my Whole30 journey and results! It was definitely pretty nerve-wracking to allow myself to be that vulnerable, but all of your kind words and encouragement mean more than you know.

For those of you considering taking the plunge – I 100% recommend it! I won’t launch into a whole story about why I think that (you can read that here) but it completely changed my relationship with food.

Which leads me to last night.

The re-introduction period has been a little rocky for me, which isn’t entirely unexpected. When you cut out dairy for an extended period of time, your body stops producing the probiotic needed to digest it. So that’s been.. not fun. Plus, your girl loves some bread. I don’t think I’ve ever met a bread that I don’t like.

But, I’m not willing to go back to how I ate before – so how can I compromise?

I considered going 100% paleo, but I know that that’s not going to work. I’m sure it does for some people, but I know myself well enough to know that I don’t do well with extreme restrictions on a long-term. I want to stick with a healthy lifestyle and relationship with food, but also not have to miss out on living because of it. I want to be able to enjoy dinner dates with friends and a little cake on birthdays.

So I decided on a compromise – paleo-ish.

The plan is to shoot for 80% paleo eating, but not beat myself up over the other 20% if and when it strays. But, I want to make the paleo portion of my diet as tasty as possible – I don’t think that’s a sacrifice I should have to make. The first thing I decided to try was a super quick and easy paleo banana bread, that only took me about 5 minutes to whip up! I didn’t get any good photos of it because I didn’t really intend to share but I posted it on Snapchat and got so many requests for the recipe – and here it is!

Paleo Banana Bread

Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
Servings 8 slices

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup coconut flour can substitute 1 c almond flour
  • 2 medium bananas
  • 3 whole eggs
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil (solid) I substitute 1 tbsp ghee
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp liquid stevia optional

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and spray down a small baking pan (I used a 3 1/2"x 5" bread pan) with cooking oil

  2. You have a few options here: 

    Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix with a hand/stand mixer - OR - combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. (I used a hand mixer, but any option will do the trick.)

  3. Once batter is smooth, pour it into the baking dish and cook on 375 for 1 hour or until golden on top. 

  4. *Cook time may vary, my oven only needed about 35 minutes to be cooked fully. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *